Skip to main content

A full week has passed since we were forced to call it quits and suspend our summit attempt. A week gives you plenty of time to ponder: what if, why, what now, what next? We’ve finally accepted that the mountain took a decision against us. There’s no way you can fight a wind exceeding 40km/h at an altitude above 8,000m. And yet, it all looked perfectly innocent from down below – just a light cloud floating over the peak, a wonderful and sunny day, albeit frosty.

Days in BC have started to blend; the same daily rituals over and over again. Each morning the assistant cook tries to wake me up as early as 8 a.m., kicking his heels in front of my tent and insisting, in broken English: “KARA, wake up, breakfast ready…“ He repeats it 3 times over and gives up, all sad and disappointed. Here’s what they serve for breakfast: eggs and bacon. I stay in my sleeping bag for another hour, with my skullcap pulled down over my eyes. Then, between 9:30 and 10 a.m. I’m finally geared up for my favorite fruit compote with cornflakes and coffee. When not climbing I like my breakfast sweet.

Speaking of rituals and traditions – not even here on K2 can you do without a snowman! The kitchen guys spared a carrot and two chili peppers for me, thanks to which myself and my artifact wiped out our competition and won. Ain’t he cute, what do you say?

By the way, today’s sleepy afternoon was enlivened by a fall of a pretty massive avalanche on the route over Cassin, not far above the BC. An incredible spectacle indeed. Anyway… we’re stuck here in the BC, constantly monitoring the weather. A meteorologist from Switzerland keeps sending us forecasts based on complex calculations and sophisticated models; all we can do is trust him, hope and wait. 

Will get back to you as soon as we set out for another attempt. Till then, Klára! :)